I love artichokes and this hits the spot. I hope that you will try it and I hope you like it. The cheese is whatever tickles your fancy or whatever you have on hand. I like to do a combo sometimes. This recipe is good hot or cold
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 2 (6 -8 ounce) jars marinated artichokes
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (I use a combo of swiss, cheddar and monterey Jack just for variation) or 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, grated (I use a combo of swiss, cheddar and monterey Jack just for variation)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Oil 9 X 13 pan with artichoke oil.
- Cut up the artichokes.
- Arrange the artichokes on the bottom of the pan.
- In a Large bowl, mix spinach, parsley, eggs, herbs, salt & pepper and 1°C grated cheese.
- Pour over the top of artichokes; sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 C cheese. (I always tend to use more so add more if your a cheese lover).
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- This recipe is good hot or cold.
I made 4/5ths the quantity due to a slight shortage in the spinach department! Baked this in an 8x8 pyrex dish and got 4 good sized portions. We had this hot on day 1 and cold the next. Slight dissent in the ranks over the rating; Mr B preferred it hot and awarded 4 stars: I preferred it cold and give this 5 :-) Loved the flavours, texture and ease of making. I did have to make a couple of changes; I used canned artichokes ('cos that's what I had to hand) and as I don't have any savory I was generous with the thyme and added a touch of concentrated mint sauce (the Kitchen Dictionary says of savory "A herb in the mint family which has the flavor of both mint and thyme")! Next time I might add a little smoked cheese to the mix.
I cut this recipe in half and we enjoyed it. I think I would probably like it better with canned artichokes rather than the marinated as the vinegar taste was pretty dominate at times. I will make this again as we are always looking for good ways to have spinach and this is a goon one. I loved the edges.
Great Casserole! We are fans of artichokes, spinach, eggs & cheese so I knew this was going to be a hit. Next time I make this I will do as bluemoon suggested and add garlic to the mixture. Thanks Karen!!!!