Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious Indian Dish!
- 1 cup spinach, chopped and boiled
- 3 potatoes, cut into rounds
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 5 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- Pour 2 tbsp of butter into a pan for making the white sauce.
- Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the flour.
- Cook for a minute until the flour turns lightly brown.
- Add the pepper and salt and the gradually add the milk.
- Stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- When the sauce thickens, add the cream and take it off the fire.
- In a separate pan, pour the remaining butter, add the spinach and saute for 5 minutes.
- Take it off the fire.
- Stir-fry the potatoes for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the prepared spinach mix to the stir-fried potato rounds to the white sauce.
- Spread the mixture in an oven proof baking dish.
- Sprinkle the dried parsley and the cheddar cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celcius.
- Serve hot with garlic bread.
This was outstanding. Simple, familiar ingredients, prepared a whole new way, at least for me. I used about 1-1/2 cups of chopped, fresh baby spinach, and did not boil it first. I didn't see the point. I added the spinach to the potatoes I stir-fried during the last few minutes just to wilt it, then added the sauce. That was perfect to me. I did find I needed to bake the dish longer than 20 minutes because the potatoes were still too firm. Perhaps I didn't stir-fry them long enough, or perhaps it is just personal preference that I like my potatoes a little more done. Nevertheless, with a little experimentation, this dish definitely has 5-star potential and I really enjoyed it. I will be making this again, and I look forward to other 'Zaar members' comments on this one. Thank you, and best wishes, Nanu! :)