1/7 Photos of Spicy Zucchini Omelet
First place winner of the Summer 2011 Dining on a Dollar Contest, this is a quick and easy Mexican influenced omelet. The qualifying ingredients are zucchini, eggs, purple onion, cumin and salsa. Thanks to everyone who tested, reviewed and rated this recipe, I appreciate your time and comments. I have revised the recipe slightly based on reviews during the contest, and have added a step to saute the zucchini and onions prior to adding them to the eggs. Feel free to reduce the number of eggs to suit the number of diners or your personal preferences. Thanks again, everyone! :D *Tink
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat on medium heat.
- 2Saute the onion and zucchini for a few minutes to soften, but not brown them.
- 3Meanwhile, add the water, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to the eggs and lightly beat to combine.
- 4Pour egg mixture into skillet, over the onion and zucchini mixture, give it all a quick stir and then allow it to cook gently, untouched, for about 3 minutes.
- 5Using a rubber spatula, gently lift egg around the edges, pushing slightly in toward the center, to allow the uncooked egg to flow underneath.
- 6Reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 3-4 minutes, or until the top is mostly set.
- 7Pour the salsa in a straight line from one end of the omelet to the other, just off center.
- 8Gently pick up the opposite side of the omelet with your spatula and quickly fold it over onto the salsa.
- 9Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Zucchini Omelet
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.8
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 279.0 mg
- Sodium 183.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 9.8 g