Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
The DH and I came up with this recipe using a combination of several other recipes gleamed from other sites and my cook books to make a combination we thoroughly enjoyed. We didn't actually measure the oil out just used as needed. Times are estimated as we were cooking and prepping several dishes at the same time.
- 2 -4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 kg beef (we used rump beaten out and cut into squares)
- 4 birds eye chiles (chopped)
- 1 cup onion (we cut into wedges and separated)
- 1⁄2 cup red capsicum (chopped)
- 1 bunch Broccolini (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coriander (cilantro to garnish chopped, we didn't use)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat wok with oil and cook meat in batches and transfer to a dish and keep warm (use more oil if required).
- Add more oil if required and add the garlic and chillies and stir fry for a few minutes and then return beef to the wok.
- Now add the onion, capsicum and broccolini stems and stir fry till vegetables are cooked but still very crisp and then add the broccolini heads and the basil (if leaves are large tear them though ours were small sweet basil leaves and we added whole).
- Add the oyster sauce, fish sauce and pepper and mix well.
- Add the cup of beef stock and then mix the cornflour and water and add to the wok to thicken the sauce.
- Garnish with coriander/cilantro if using and serve with rice or fried rice.
Excellent! Love versatile recipes like this. Sauce is perfect. Did add cilantro with basil and would do again. I altered recipe and won't do again and noting here as my notes are so difficult to get to since recipe box fiasco--I made slurry of corn starch and water and it clumped recipe says to add to wok and will follow directions next time and there will be a next time. :)