Meat Pie (Tourtiere)
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 30mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 large onion (diced fine)
- 1 stalk celery (diced fine)
- 1 large potato (small cubes)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 dash pepper
- 24 ounces beef bouillon
- pie crust, top and bottom
- In large pot brown ground meat-drain well-add onion, celery, potatoe, garlic, cloves, allspice, sage, pepper-mix well.
- Add bouillon-bring to boil and then simmer on low heat for 3-4 hours.
- This recipe works equally as well in a slow cooker.
- Use a potato masher to mash meat/potato mixture to desired consistancy.
- Drain off excess liquid-cool meat mixture& remove any visible cloves.
- Fill the bottom shell , cover with top crust, seal edges and score to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425 for approximately 45 mins or until the crust is golden brown.
Join The Conversation
The outcome was rather disappoining as I have never made a tourtiere before and the directions weren't very helpful. If I had made one before it may have helped. The flavor was good but I didn't understand how to construct it. It says one pie shell and then it says to fill two shells? Then cover with pie crust. How do you do this with one pie crust as specified in the ingredient list? For a first timer... it would have helped to have had better directions. It wasn't easy for me to follow. Jelly
Meat Pie was some thing that my mother would make every christmas and thanksgiving. She would make 10 pies because everyone loved it so much & wanted leftovers. Since my mother passed away I have searched for a recipe that was close to hers so i could work with it. I changed the following *Used potatoes(5) and boiled them to mash them to mix in with the beef and pork, also NUTMEG IS THE KEY, it adds sooo much more flavor. Great recipe!