Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This soup is a wonderful comfort food for those winter blues. Spices make it warming not overly hot..You could cut the red pepper flakes for the wimps. If you love Mexican,Tex-Mex you're sure to love this soup--nd so easy to make. Sure to become a family favorite.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 lbs frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, medium size chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 16 ounces salsa
- 26 ounces diced tomatoes
- 10 3⁄4 ounces tomato soup
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
- 32 ounces chili beans, drained
- 16 ounces black beans, drained
- 8 ounces sour cream
- In soup pot add water, frozen chicken breasts, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder, bouillon, red pepper flakes.
- Bring to boil; cover turn heat low and simmer 2.5 hours until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken. Keep 5 cups broth in soup pot. Shred chicken and place in soup pot.
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil. Add to pot. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese for garnish. Can be eaten without added calories if you prefer.
Best soup I've had in a while. I used chickpeas instead of chilli beans because I didn't have any. This would be a good recipe to use up left over turkey instead of using chicken.