Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the cookbook "Cooking Up a Storm: Recipes Lost and Found" edited by Judy Walker
Make and share this Spicy Sweet Potato Corn Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, cubed (about 3 medium ones)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (I put in half)
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until just soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender or a food processor, puree contents of pot until smooth.
- Reheat soup, stirring in jalepeno, corn, molasses, salt, cayenne, black pepper and cinnamon. Adjust seasonings to taste.
I'll readily admit to using only about 1/4 of the jalapeno & probably just half of the cayenne pepper, but other than that, the ingredient list & directions were followed! We really enjoyed the combo of yams & corn here, & the addition of 'kick' ingredients wasn't as overpowering as I thought it might be! VERY, VERY NICE SOUP! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]