Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 (420 g) cans corn kernels
- 2 (420 g) cans creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cooked barbecued chicken, shredded
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped (shallots)
- 3 liters chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add the spring onions,ginger and cook until softened. Add the corn kernels, chicken stock, rice wine and soy sauce. Bring to the boil, slowly. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes Add the shredded chicken.
- In a small bowl, blend the cornflour with 6 tbs of cold water or stock. Add to the soup with the sesame oil, stirring until thickened slightly.
- Stir in creamed corn and simmer for 2-3 minutes Add beaten egg slowly, whilst stirring the soup then take it off the heat.
- Serve hot with toast if preferred.
Join The Conversation
Your experiments have paid off. This is an excellent soup -- and so authentic. I feed hungry teenagers, so added the second chicken breast. Followed the rest of the recipe as written. The flavours and textures are perfectly balanced. Your instructions are clear and easy to follow. I look forward to trying more of your recipes. Thanks for transporting me to China for lunch today!