Recipe by brightdawn1891
I've been blessed and cursed with being able to season recipes to taste. Like my grandmother, a pinch of this, a dab of that, and where does it get me? I'm never able to recreate some really awesome recipes. I thought I'd take an opportunity to document this recipe for spinach, so I can make it again and again.
- 16 ounces frozen spinach
- 1 yellow sweet onions or 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup regular bacon bits or 1⁄4 cup turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion and mince garlic cloves (I usually throw them together in my electric food chopper)and set aside.
- Heat skillet to medium high heat.
- If bacon isn't precooked, cook bacon until crisp.
- Crumble bacon into bits and set aside.
- Discard bacon grease or save for later use.
- Spray the same pan in which the bacon was cooked with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sauté onion and garlic until tender.
- Add frozen spinach and continue cooking until spinach is thawed.
- Add crumbled bacon bits, nutmeg, dill, black pepper, and salt to taste.
- Continue cooking until most of the moisture from the spinach has evaporated.
- Serve alone, as a side, inside an omelet, or use it to make a quiche.