Recipe by Barefoot Beachcomber
Adopted recipe! Pumpkin gives this soup great creamy texture.
Top Review by hestiagwyn
~I use recipes as "suggestions"~
I added ground beef, onions, cilantro, cayenne pepper, lime juice, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, diced black olives and used small black beans instead of garbanzos. Garnished with diced avocado and grated cheese.
It was a hardy soup that was delicious!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup corn kernel, frozen or canned
- 3⁄4 cup bottled mild salsa
- shredded cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 3-qt saucepan.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add broth, increase heat then stir in chick-peas, pumpkin, corn and salsa.
- Bring to a boil the reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to develop flavors.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.