Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is from the Foodcourt column, Weekend. Did you know that King Henry IV of England loved salads and one of his favourite salads was a lightly tossed mixture of potatoes(boiled and diced), sardines and herbs.
For the salad
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika or 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 750 g baby new potatoes, cut into halves and boiled until tender
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) canluncheon meat, cut into thin strips
For the salad dressing
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarsely crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine together all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a bowl.
- Whisk to mix well.
- Keep aside.
- Now proceed to prepare the potato salad.
- For this, heat oil in a pan.
- Add garlic and onion.
- Saute until the raw smell of garlic is gone and the onion is browned.
- Add cumin, corriander, chilli, turmeric and cinnamon powders.
- Mix well.
- Add potatoes, corriander leaves and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are coated with the spices.
- Combine this potato mixture and luncheon meat strips in a salad bowl.
- Add the dressing and serve.