Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The egg whites keep the moisture in the fish, I strongly suggest to serve this with creamy lemon sauce (recipe below) it is what makes this extra special and the sauce takes only minutes to make, it can be made up to 1 day ahead if desired, using low-fat sour cream for the sauce will reduce the some of the fat content, using fat-free sour cream it will make it almost totally fat-free, although I have never used fat-free sour cream I cannot say it will be okay, you can of coarse use full-fat sour cream if you wish! Adjust the cayenne pepper to taste.
- 7 large catfish fillets
- 2 -3 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs (or even better, use panko breadcrumbs)
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature (beaten until frothy)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the fish; wash the fish fillets under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl mix together the dry breadcrumbs with seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- In a bowl whisk or beat egg whites until foamy.
- Dip the fillets into egg whites, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the fillets in one layer onto a well-greased wire rack that is set on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until fish is golden brown (do not overbake).
- LEMON CREAM SAUCE; in a bowl mix together one 8-ounce container of sour cream (low-fat is okay) 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind, 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.