From Better Homes and Garden
Make and share this Spicy Orange Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into bite-size strips (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup hot salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- chopped avocado (optional)
- Skin chicken. Rinse chicken; pat dry.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or a very large skillet cook half of chicken in hot oil about 15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Repeat with remaining half of chicken. Remove all chicken from pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside. Add onion, sweet pepper, and garlic to pan. Cook until onion and pepper are just tender. Return chicken to pan. Add orange peel, orange juice, chicken broth, and salsa. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Add beans to chicken mixture; heat through. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve with chopped awocado, if desired. Makes 8 servings.