Chef Boy of Dee's's Note:
I got this recipe from M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved. (what and where I don't know) The main change for my taste (because we don't eat Pork), was to make it all ground beef, but you can certainly use as directed or mix veal or some other type of meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce dried chipotle chile, stemmed
- 2 ripe italian roma tomatoes, cored
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/4 lbs ground pork
- 1/2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1Combine chipotles, tomatoes, garlic and water in medium saucepan.
- 2Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Bring to boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by 1/3, about 20 minutes.
- 5Let Cool.
- 6Transfer to food processor.
- 7Puree until smooth and strain.
- 8Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 9Add onion and celery and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 10Add cumin and nutmeg and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and transfer to large bowl to cool.
- 11Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 12Add beef, pork, bread crumbs and salt to onion mixture.
- 13Add 1/2 cup chipotle sauce.
- 14Mix until well blended.
- 15Add eggs and mix well.
- 16Press mixture into 9 x 5inch loaf pan. Brush top with some of remaining chipotle sauce.
- 17Bake meatloaf until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 160 degrees F, about 1 hour.
- 18Transfer to rack to cool slightly.
- 19Drain off any oil.
- 20Turn meatloaf out onto platter.
- 21Serve with remaining salsa.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Meatloaf With Chipotle Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.0
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 194.1 mg
- Sodium 598.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 34.8 g