Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from "The Miniature Book of Tomatoes" by Jane Donovan. I havent tried this yet. The heat factor will vary based on the type of chili sauce you use-Asian chili sauce for a morefirey result, or grocery store chili sauce if you like it milder.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, with bones
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 6 teaspoons tomato paste (really)
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon garam masala, spice blend
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- lemon slice, to garnish
- lime slice, to garnish
- Slash through the meaty part of the thighs with a knife 2 or 3 times, then set into a shallow non-metal casserole (such as a glass pyrex baking dish).
- Combine marinade ingredients (except garnish) in a blender or fodd processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour marinade over chicken, turn to coat, cover and let marinade in the fridge 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190C) and bake uncovered, basting occasionally, until cooked through and juices run clear, approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Garnish with slices of lemon and lime.
We really, really enjoyed this. We did not skin the chicken, but marinated overnight in the fridge. Loved the back-end heat (we used Sriracha for the chili sauce). We will definitely be making this again.
This is a fantastic recipe! I love the marinade - the blend of spices is wonderful. It's spicy, slightly tangy and sweet at the same time. I made this twice, using boneless, skinless thighs. (My mistake for not reading the recipe properly) The first time I baked it in the oven as per instructions. Great results! All finished!! The second time I tried 'braising' the chicken cause I want to try it with more sauce. So i sear the chicken in a hot skillet (with some olive oil) for about 10sec each side to get it browned. Then I return the chicken and marinade into a saucepan, added about 1/4 cup chicken stock and let it simmer for an hour. Just before serving, I thickened the sauce slightly with a mixture of cornstarch and cold water. I love the braised version even more!! I followed all the ingredients to the T. Please do not omit or sub the garam masala - it will not be the same without it! And I used galangal instead of the regular ginger. I'm still salivating, just recalling the taste of this dish... Yes it's that wonderful!! Must-try!! (PICK A CHEF)
I made this for my mom and bro for dinner tonight. I marinated this for 7 hours in the refrigerator. They said that this chicken was definitely not spicy. For the chilli sauce, we used hot sauce since that was the closest to chilli sauce that we had on hand. Since the amount of salt to be added to this was not mentioned in the recipe, I added 2 1/4 tsps. of salt. I used a 1kg 300gms. chicken(thighs). I'm sorry Auntie Heather, but they were disappointed with this one. Sorry again.