Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
nice vegetable lovers side dish.
Make and share this Spicy Lentils recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup tomato puree
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat and add onions, ginger, and a dash of salt& pepper.
- Cover and cook for 10 mins until soft.
- Add garlic, curry powder, cumin, coriander and cook for 1 minute.
- Add water, broth, lentils and bay leaves and bring to the boil.
- Cover and reduce heat, simmer for 2 hrs until tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaves, add the yogurt and tomato puree and simmer 5 minutes until heated through.
Excellent! I used petit french green lentils 'cause that's what I had. It only took one hour (not two) to reach the texture I like. After it sat for an hour all the spices really kicked in. I am a happy dude.
This was a hearty meal that we really enjoyed. I served mashed sweet potatoes and mean chef's Lemon Butter Broccoli with this. I actually didn't let it cook down as much and it was still rather soupy, which suited us just fine! Thanks for posting!
This was simply fabulous! I love lentils, especially made like this... so this made for a fabulous dish for us! I didnt make the whole recipe as 12 servings is just way too much for us. I halved it so that I would have leftovers. I used a bit more spices than required for 1/2 of the recipe as we really like the kick :-) The only thing I did do different was to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, because it was all that I had on hand at the time...as its what I generally use in most of the dishes that I make. Thanks for this recipe! I will be making this again..soon :-)