Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The following recipe was originally posted on www.fullersfineherbs.com where you can find more recipe ideas and gourmet cooking ingredients. A chunky beef and vegetable mélange in a spicy and saucy gravy. Perfect one dish meal that can also be adapted to a slow cooker meal.
- 2 lbs lean beef, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fat
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (essential for this stew)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning, such as fuller's beaujolais blend
- 4 cloves (whole cloves the spice)
- 2 raw tomatoes, chopped or 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 raw red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups meat stock or 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 small red potatoes, cut in half
- 6 small carrots, sliced 1 inch thick
- 6 small onions or 2 medium onions, quartered
- 3 -4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup fresh peas (can also use green beans)
- Heat a large, heavy skillet with the oil.
- Brown the meat over medium high heat turning as needed; sprinkle with sugar and continue to brown. Dust lightly with flour and continue to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, red pepper, herbs, bay leaf, cloves, beef stock and boiling water. Cover and simmer over low heat about 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add the vegetables except the peas or beans and combine. Continue to cook 30 minutes longer.
- Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Serve with French bread or homemade buttermilk biscuits.