1/1 Photo of Spicy Ham and Tomato Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
This is a family favorite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 1/2 cups half-and-half cream (can use half of each to make 4-1/2 cups) or 4 1/2 cups full-fat milk (can use half of each to make 4-1/2 cups)
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, well drained and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham (or to taste)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (cooked only to VERY FIRM-tender and drained)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Set oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Butter a 3-quart casserole dish or a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3In a large heavy saucepan melt the butter and cook the onion, garlic, jalapenos, coriander and cumin over low heat, stirring until the onion has softened.
- 4Stir in flour and cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- 5Add in half and half cream and/or milk; bring to a boil, whisking until mixture thickens (about 2 minutes).
- 6Add in well-drained tomatoes; simmer for 2 minutes.
- 7Add in cayenne, salt and pepper.
- 8In a large bowl, mix together cooked macaroni, and tomato/cream mixture.
- 9Add in the chopped cooked ham.
- 10Stir in the cheddar cheese to combine.
- 11Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- 12In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the casserole.
- 13Bake on the second-lowest oven rack for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Ham and Tomato Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1134.1
- Calories from Fat 545
- Total Fat 60.6 g
- Saturated Fat 34.7 g
- Cholesterol 196.4 mg
- Sodium 858.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 50.4 g