Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 cup sliced carrot (2 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery (1 stalk)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell peppers (1 small) or 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper (1 small)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham (10 oz.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro leaves
- In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over med-high heat.
- Add in onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in broth, water, ham, black beans, kidney beans, cumin, thyme, cayenne, and black pepper.
- Stir in wine; bring to a boil; decrease heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until carrot is tender.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with cilantro.