Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was looking for a cream of tomato soup and came up with this variation on a vegetable soup I recently found. It is very tasty, and the chili gives it just that little bit of extra zing. Yummm. (The quantities given yield 2 large portions that can make a meal in themselves. As a starter, you could get 4 smaller portions.)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red chile, deseeded (leave seeds in if you prefer it to be quite hot)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese (optional)
- double cream, to taste (or single cream, for a healthier option)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- Heat a medium-sized pan, melt butter with oil.
- Sweat onion, garlic, celery, pepper and chili until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Bring to boil, then let simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Liquidise in a blender (I use a hand-held blender, but watch out for the hot liquid splashing!).
- Put the soup back on the fire, add mascarpone cheese (if using), cream and salt to taste.
- Serve with toast or crostini.