Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
You can increase the amounts of chipotle peppers, but beware, they are HOT! My family loves this soup, if you love spicy foods then I urge you to give this a try. Serve this with crusty rolls and butter. Canned chipotle chilies or sometimes called adobo, can be found in any Latin-American markets, or specialty food stores and major grocery food stores in the Mexican section. You might want to double ingredients, this soup is so good!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 cups good-quality chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chile (or to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat melt butter and sauté the onions, red bell pepper and garlic (about 5 minutes).
- Add in tomatoes with juice; cook for 2 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups chicken broth with chipotle chilies in a blender and puree.
- Add in the puree and cream-style corn into the pot with sautéed veggies; mix to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in frozen corn, whipping cream and oregano; simmer 5 minutes, stirring.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
I had the best Chipotle Corn Chowder when I was in New Mexico a few years back. Ever since then I have tried to recreate the recipe, without success. Then I stumbled across this one and VOILA! It is perfect! The only thing I do differently is that after sauteeing the peppers, garlic, and onion I puree them. I also use skim or 2% milk instead of the whipping cream to make it less fattening.
I have been making a chowder like this for years. The only difference is that I add shrimp into the soup and instead of tomatoes I add cubes of potatoes. Its delicious that way too. I tried this recipe last night and it was delicious and comfort food at its best! Thank you Kitten!