- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners. Lightly spray the liners with vegetable oil spray.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and 1/2 teaspoons of the nutmeg and pulse to blend. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, butter, applesauce, and vanilla. Fold the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients until just blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoons over the muffins. Bake for 18 minutes, until the muffins are springy; let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.