1 hr 57 mins
1 hr 42 mins
Posted on a request, have not tried, but, it says here:"Unite summer harvest veggies with the gloriously fragrant spices and herbs of the eastern Mediterranean. For a simple meze table, or meal of small dishes, serve them with plump olives, piquant cheese and crusty bread. Or offer them as side dishes with grilled or roasted meat, poultry or fish." Mmmmmmmmmm, sounds great!!!from Canadian Living mag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1/4 cup currants or 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 small eggplants (about 1 lb)
- 7 tomatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 6 mini sweet peppers or 6 cubanelle peppers or 6 banana peppers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium high heat, saute pine nuts until slightly darkened,about 2 minutes.
- 2Add chopped onion and garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add rice, currants, 1 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, sugar, cinnamon, alspice and pepper, stir well.
- 4Add 2 cups boiling water, reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed but rice is still slightly firm, about 18 minutes.
- 5Scrape into bowl, let cool.
- 6Pressing lightly, roll eggplants over work surface to loosen flesh.
- 7Cut off 1/8 inch thick slice lenghwise from each.
- 8With spoon, scoop out flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch thick walls, set shells aside.
- 9Chop flesh and slices.
- 10Core and chop 1 of the tomatoes.
- 11In skillit, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil over medium high heat, saute chopped eggplant and tomato and remaining salt until eggplant is softened, about 5 minutes, let cool.
- 12Add to rice mixture along with green onions, parsley, dill and mint, toss with fork.
- 13Cut 1/2 inch off tops of mini sweet peppers and remaining tomatoes, with spoon, remove seeds and ribs.
- 14Fill eggplants, peppers and tomatoes with rice mixture, place in roasting pan just large enough to hold veggies snugly.
- 15Drizzle with remaining oil, 1/2 cup water and lemon juice.
- 16Cover with lightly greased foil.
- 17Bake in 400f degree oven for 1 hour.
- 18Uncover and bake until veggies are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 19Serve warm or at room temperature with pan juices spooned over top.
- 20Variation: Brown 8 oz lean ground lamb or beef in skillet before cooking eggplant, drain off fat.
- 21Add to filling.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Rice Stuffed Veggies
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.2
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.8 mg
- Sodium 468.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mini sweet peppers