Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This decorative dish can be prepared in advance. Bake for a few minutes when ready to serve.
Make and share this Spiced Cauliflower recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cauliflower (stem removed)
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed green chili
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons crushed cashews
- 2 tablespoons chopped green coriander
- Soak cauliflower in about 4 cups salted water for ½ hour.
- Drain and put several half cuts on the stem side of the cauliflower.
- Steam it until tender.
- (You may microwave at high, covered, for about 8 minutes.) Heat the oil in a wide skillet on medium to high heat.
- Stir fry garlic and onions until translucent.
- Add crushed ginger, green chilies, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and salt.
- Stir until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the remaining spices (except poppy seeds and cashews).
- Keep on stirring.
- Add tomatoes and ¼ cup water to cook them.
- Blend in the yogurt gradually and keep on stirring until the oil is separated.
- Add crushed cashews and poppy seeds and ¼ cup water.
- Now add the cauliflower, head down, and coat with masala to let everything cook together for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower, stump down, in a casserole dish.
- Coat with all the masala.
- (Put more cuts in the cauliflower to ensure that all sides are covered with the masala.) Before serving, bake for 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Garnish with green coriander.
- You may also decorate with cooked green peas and pan fried potato slices.
We had this for lunch this afternoon. LOVELY! We started off by soaking the cauliflower in 2 tsps. of salted water. I brought down the amount of cooking oil to 1 1/2 tbsps. and lessened the red chilli powder to 1/4 tsp. and I used black pepper powder as a substitute for paprika (1/4 tsp.) as we can't have very spicy food (health and personal taste reasons). I didn't have poppy seeds on hand and I had to leave that out as it's very difficult to get it in Oman. For the cashews, I used broken cashews which I powdered in my mixer (and obtained 2 tbsps. of coarsely powdered cashews) and then used. Before baking the cauliflower as in step 16, I tossed in 1 cup of boiled greenpeas into the dish that contained the cauliflower coated with the prepared masala. I had this with bread and later with plain rice and topped with a dollop of plain yogurt. YUMMY! :) I was most excited with step 4 of this recipe of the microwave - REALLY WORKS SOO GOOD! A billion thanks for that.
I tried this recipe this weekend and it came out great! I cut the caulifower into florets and cooked them in the sauce (so I had to add a little more water which cooked off). It came out a tasty dish for our vegetarian potluck and everyone really ernjoyed it!
Wonderful! I had no cashews, and forgot to put in the poppy seeds, but it was great in spite of this. This is a really hearty dish and could be served with brown rice as a meal.