Recipe by Kristinlee4
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This from scratch sweet pie can be served as a side to dinner or stands by itself as a dessert. I wanted to create a crust from potatoes and fill it with something unique. This is where the idea began. I added some goat cheese to the crust in order to make it more rich and Zante currants to the carrot filling for texture. With a little whipped topping it is a great accompaniment to any dinner.
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced (about one pound)
- 1 cup Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄8 cup orange juice
- 1 cup currants
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw four cups of Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine all crust ingredients except the flour in a food processor until smooth. Add flour slowly while stirring potato mixture. Press crust firmly into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes or until middle is firm to the touch.
- While crust is baking boil carrots until soft. Then combine all ingredients except the currents in a food processor until smooth. Gently add currants.
- Let the pie crust cool for five minutes then fill with carrot filling.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes then 325 for 40 minutes.
- Let pie cool completely before serving. Add whipped cream.