Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yahoo Group Files
Make and share this Spiced Apple Rings recipe from Food.com.
- Wash apples. Peel and slice one apple at a time. Immediately cut crosswise into 1/2" slices, remove core area with a melon baller and immerse in ascorbic acid solution to keep the apples from discoloring.
- In a 6 quart saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon candies, or cinnamon sticks and food coloring (if using).
- Heat to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves then lower heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Drain apples and add to hot syrup, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Fill prepared jars with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving a 1/2" headspace.
- Check for air bubbles and add more liquid if needed to maintain the 1/2" headspace.
- Process pint or quart size jars in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes .
- Adjust time according to your altitude.
- NOTE: This can also be pressure canned. Pressure Canner - Hot pack pints or quarts and process for 8 minutes at the pressure specified according to your altitude and / or style of canner.
Just like grandma used to make! Just the right amount of spice and sugar. Looking forward to opening the jars at holiday time to serve with turkey and ham. Made for Think Pink event-2012.