- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons arbol chiles
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (plus extra to season)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, freshly ground (plus extra to season)
- 4 (12 ounce) New York strip steaks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- mesa grill steak sauce (Mesa Grill Steak Sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the spice rub, combine the ancho powder, paprika, coriander, dry mustard, oregano, cumin, chile de arbol, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of the steaks with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Rub one side of each steak with about 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture.
- Grill the steaks, rub side down, until lightly charred and a crust has formed, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip over the steaks and continue grilling for 5 to 6 minutes more for medium-rare; the steaks will be bright pink in the middle.
- Spoon some of the Mesa Grill steak sauce into the center of each of 4 plates and top with the steaks. Or serve the sauce on the side for dipping.