Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A favourite salad in My family !
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 spanspek (or your favorite)
- 1⁄4 watermelon
- 2 tablespoons muscatel or 2 tablespoons port wine
- mint, for serving
- In a small saucepan, place the sugar, water, lemon juice, vinegar, and ginger.
- Heat to a boiling, stirring well.
- Continue boiling for about 5 minutes, then strain syrup through a fine sieve or cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Meanwhile, de-seed the cantaloupes and watermelon.
- Using a melon baller, collect balls and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then sprinkle on the muscatel.
- Toss gently.
- Pour syrup over melon balls and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- To serve, decorate with mint sprig.