Recipe by MarieRynr
I love chicken with rice in any way shape or form. This is a tasty way to prepare it and very popular around this house!
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas, not thawed
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- heat oil in a heavy skillet (at least 2 inches deep) over moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking, then brown chicken on all sides, about 12 minutes in total.
- Transfer with tongs to a plate.
- Pour off all but 2 TBs fat from skillet and add onion, bell pepper, and salt to taste.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika, and rice, then cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add wine and boil, uncovered, 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, saffron and bay leaf.
- Nestle chicken in rice, adding any juices from plate.
- Cook, covered, over low heat until chicken it cooked through, rice is tender, and most of liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in peas and olives.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- cover skillet and let stand 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and serve.