Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother got this recipe well over 50 years ago from a lady from Puerto Rico. My parents lived across the dormitory hall from her and her husband when they were students at East Texas State Teacher's College, now Texas A & M University, Commerce.
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup raw white rice
- Spanish olives
- salt, to taste
- Using a frying pan with a lid, fry salt pork until brown.
- Add onion and green bell pepper and saute until soft.
- Add tomato sauce and rice and fry for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Throw in a few Spanish olives, to taste.
- Add enough water to cover rice,.
- Add salt, to taste.
- Bring to boil, cover, and lower heat to simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until all water is absorbed.
Wonderful recipe! So easy and tastes like nothing we have ever had before. It's not like any restaurant rice. It goes well with any Mexican recipe.