Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This quick and easy recipe is lots of fun to make and very tasty as well. Spanish chorizo is very different from Mexican chorizo but Mexican chorizo can be used in this dish.
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 4 ounces spanish chorizo sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces dry penne pasta
- 4 eggs
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil until hot. Add leeks and saute them for 6-8 minutes, until soft. Lower heat and add chorizo. Fry over very low heat, turning occasionally until crisp.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl, add the Parmesan cheese and paprika, season well with salt and black pepper. Mix together with a fork.
- Just before the pasta is ready, increase the heat under the drying pan so that the oil and melted fat start to sizzle. Drain the pasta thoroughly, return to the pan and immediately stir in the egg mixture and the sizzling hot contents of the frying pan.
- Stir vigorously so that the eggs cook evenly. Serve immediately with a scattering of grated Parmesan cheese.
Quick and easy to prepare, and a yummy change from bacon Carbonara! I didn't have leeks so I subbed a thinly sliced onion, added some garlic and used some of the pasta cooking water to keep it saucy rather than scrambled. Wish I'd had some fresh parsley to sprinkle over the top!