Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This chicken dish has intense flavors! Serve this with hot cooked linguini or spaghetti if desired and crusty rolls on the side. The complete recipe can be doubled.
Top Review by Jeffsmom
This was really good. I left out the olives and capers, but otherwise followed instructions. It made the whole house smell wonderful. I think next time I'll use regular salt instead of seasoning salt, and leave the potatoes out altogether. Thanks for the posting, Kitten!
- 3 -4 lbs bone-in chicken legs with thigh (skin on or off)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or white salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if desired, adjust the amount to suit heat level)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut up (with juice)
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or to taste, I use lots!)
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, halved (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons capers (these can be omitted if you do not like capers, but they are good to add in)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (rubbed between fingers)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano (rubbed between fingers)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 -4 teaspoons cornstarch
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large plastic bag combine flour, seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and black pepper (if using); shake bag to combine spices.
- Add in chicken pieces one at a time, shaking to coat with flour mixture.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil and brown chicken on all sides for about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned, adding in more oil if needed.
- Add in the tomatoes with juice, potatoes, onion, garlic, wine, capers (if using) and herbs; bring to boiling, reduce heat and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes, or until chicken is done and no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken and transfer to a large serving dish, cover with foil to keep warm or place in a 200 degree oven.
- In a small bowl or cup combine the water with cornstarch; add/stir into tomato mixture in the Dutch oven, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring with a spoon.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken in a large serving dish/bowl.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired and serve.