Recipe by Missy Eastwood
This is an excellent appetizer recipe. It goes well with any Italian or Greek dish. I use low fat cottage cheese and reduced fat butter to help cut calories. Very tasty!
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach
- 6 -8 ounces feta cheese (small container)
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- melted margarine (about 1 1/2 sticks)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 dash salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw the spinach and phyllo dough.
- Be sure to keep the phyllo dough covered once the package is opened. It will dry out quickly.
- Saute the spinach, onion and olive oil. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Cook until all liquid is absorbed.
- In a mixing bowl, mix feta, cottage cheese, and parmesan cheese together with beaten eggs.
- Add spinach mixture to the cheese mixture and stir well.
- Take 2 leaves of phyllo dough (layered on top of each other) and brush with butter.
- Cut the sheets long ways into 3 equal strips approximately 2x14-inches each. Put 1 tbsp of spinach mixture at the end of 1 strip.
- Fold the strip like a flag making a triangle with each fold.
- 3 puffs will be made from 1 double thickness of phyllo sheet.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush with butter. Repeat until all the filling is used.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes.