Recipe by Charmie777
A quick and delicious Greek dish that's perfect for parties cuz they're so pretty!
Top Review by Mulligan
This was SO much easier than the regular spanikopita. DH LOVED the spinach filling. We had so much leftover, I plan to freeze the leftovers without the cups and thaw to fill the phyllo cups in a future party. Thanks for posting the recipe!
- 1 (10 ounce) box puff pastry shells
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked turkey or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Bake the pastry shells according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl and microcook 15 minutes, covered on HIGH, until defrosted and hot.
- Melt the margarine in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to skillet and cook until soft, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When onion is soft, reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle flour over onion and cook for 1 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Cook stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens, 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add feat, dill, lemon uice, pepper and salt.
- Stir to melt cheese, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain spinach well and add to skillet along with turkey. Return to heat and stir well to mix and heat thru.
- Remove tops from puff pastry shells. Remove the uncooked portions from inside of shells and discard.
- Fill each shell with 3/4 cup spinach mixture. Replace the tops and serve.