Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a dish you can prepare months in advance, freeze and when you are ready to go, you will be impressed with yourself and the presentation, IMHO, this spanakopata is breathtakingly delicious. Yes, work, worth it? Absolutely!
- 1 (17 ounce) package phyllo dough
- 4 large onions
- 4 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 1 cup fresh dill
- 3 bunches scallions
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 lb feta cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups butter
- Grease two large baking pans.
- Defrost spinach squeeze out the liquid and reserve in colander.
- In a large saucepan skillet, saute onions and scallions in one stick of butter.
- Add dill and parsley and saute mixture until golden five minutes. Add the spinach and 1/4 teaspoon salt and saute the mixture for ten minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in feta cheese crumbled and 1/2 cup freshly crumbled parmesan cheese. In another bowl beat eggs until they are frothy and fold them into the mixture.
- Have the phyllo leaves ready with four sticks of butter melted.
- *Set up your work area carefully. It's a process but so worth it.
- *Have a damp tea cloth ready for your phyllo dough.
- Brush five of the leaves with melted butter. Cover the other phyllo leaves with a damp cloth to keep from drying out.
- Spread 1/5 of the mixture along one edge of the phyllo. Fold in the sides and roll.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with butter.
- *You can freeze at this point.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.