Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my go to recipe for Spaghetti with Meat Sauce. I have been making this for many years. Make sure you simmer the sauce in a pan with a lid that is slighly ajar. I do not like peppers or mushrooms in my sauce, but for those that do, they would be a wonderful addition.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups water
- In a large dutch oven, brown ground beef with onion until beef is almost cooked through. Add garlic and cook until beef is done.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, adjusting seasonings for personal taste, and stir until combined.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to a low simmer. Put the cover on the pan to allow steam to escape.
- Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot spaghetti noodles.
- NOTE: This freezes incredibly well!