Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Inspired by my Dad's somewhat tamer spaghetti sauce, this is my spiced up twist on an old classic. It is easy to make, SMELLS great and makes enough for dinner plus 2 frozen dinners for two (for those nights you just don't have time to cook from scratch). This sauce comes out THICK and CHUNKY, so adjust if you like a thinner sauce. I also make this a day in advance of when I want to eat it as I like the flavor after it has been refrigerated over night and then reheated.
- 1 (1 1/2-2 lb) package hot Italian sausage, fresh (5-6 links)
- 1 (24 -28 ounce) jarof your favorite pre-made spaghetti sauce, no meat
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed fire roasted (in organic isle, I like Muir Glen brand)
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 5 -6 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- salt, taste
- pepper, taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees, line baking sheet or glass casserole with foil for easy clean up.
- Chop onion, pepper and garlic while oven is preheating.
- Put whole sausages on foil lined pan/casserole, bake 20- 30 minutes or until golden brown and expelling some juices, remove and let cool slightly.
- While sausage is cooking, in a pan large enough for all ingredients, over medium heat, saute onions and peppers in olive oil 5-7 minutes until onions are almost translucent, add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes (DO NOT allow garlic to get brown or it will be bitter), reduce heat to simmer.
- To pan of onions/peppers/garlic add jar of pre-made sauce (fill empty jar with a splash of water or beer :) , close lid, shake to rinse, open and add to sauce), fire roasted tomatoes, bay leaves, italian seasoning, sugar, and smoked paprika.
- Slice sausage into bite sized pieces on a steep angle, add to sauce. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to your taste during the last 30 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta with some grated cheese.
pretty good stuff! i decided to wing it on the amounts of veggies i put in...a big handful sliced green onion, two small handfuls sliced yellow onion, two sliced carrots, 2 1/2 sliced ribs celery all sauteed in near the beginning. then the four diced garlic cloves. and i chopped up a fresh tomato to replace the fire roasted one suggested. this was the first time i made a meal all on my own for my family :p. YUM!! and this is a simple simple simple way of cooking the sausages. i really wanted some sort of pasta with italian sausages and searched all over for a good method to cook them. but hey they were delish in this :). served with a little quick bruschetta recipe i found on the back of our frozen garlic bread box. they really complemented each other. thanks :)