Recipe by Chef AmberK
Finally, a thick and rich Spaghetti Sauce with no tomato paste or tomato sauce. This "from scratch" recipe is easy, fresh and simple. I always decide to make spaghetti and then don't have tomato paste or sauce or I ran out of Italian seasoning. This is even better the next day. - A food processor can be used to smooth the sauce if the tomatoes are too chunky.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 4 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat, drain and reserve 2 Tbs of fat.
- Saute onions in olive oil if using lean meat or use reserved fat.
- Dissolve cornstarch with tomatoes. (Can blend at this point for desired texture).
- Add meat and remaining ingredients and simmer about an hour. (Can be done on low in a crock pot for longer).