- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (Hunt's no salt added)
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (, Hunt's no salt added)
- 1⁄2 lb ground round (omit both for vegetarian) or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey (omit both for vegetarian)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend the stewed tomatoes and crushed tomatoes in a blender.
- In a stock pot or large kettle, brown the ground beef with the onions, peppers, garlic.
- Pour in tomatoes and reduce heat.
- Add basil, sugar, oregano and simmer about 40 minutes.
- Periodically check consistency; if sauce is too runny or liquid, add no salt added tomato paste or cornstarch paste to taste.
- Sprinkle with salt substitute and pepper before serving.