Recipe by MamaMeg
I found a similar recipe on allrecipes.com and it got awesome reviews over there. I added a few things and made some adaptations and this is what I came up with. This is the best I've ever had!
Top Review by Ann Rotatori
I only made the sauce but it was a hit. The recipe seems to miss adding a few ingredients so when it was time to add ingredients to the onions I added all the way through the tomato paste. I don't like sweet tomato sauce so I only used 2 teaspoons of sugar rather than 2 tablespoons. Next time I will cut the red pepper in half to make it more kid friendly. I made the RAO Family Meatballs from recipe 41176 and they were a great pair.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown onions and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat until the onions are translucent.
- While that is cooking, cut the whole tomatoes in fairly large chunks, saving all liquid.
- Add the next five ingredients.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 90 minutes.
- To make the meatballs:Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Mix with your hands, trying not to overly handle the meat. Shape mixture into balls. How many you get will depend on how big you make them. I generally get about 24-25 bouncy ball sized meatballs. Refrigerate.
- After the sauce has simmered 90 minutes add the meatballs and simmer another 30 minutes.