Recipe by gailanng
Adapted from Light & Healthy 2012 by America's Test Kitchen. The zest keeps the lemon from becoming washed.
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teasoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely grated shallots
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large dutch oven. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 3/4 cups cooking water, drain pasta into colander and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the now-empty pan and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add the shallot and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Whisk 1 1/2 cups of reserved past cooking water and cream into pot; bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Remove pot from heat, return pasta and stir until coated. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, the lemon zest, juice, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and let pasta stand 2 minutes, tossing frequently and adjusting consistency with remaining 1/4 cup reserved pasta water, if necessary. Stir in basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, drizzling individual portions with oil and sprinkling with cheese.