1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Christine Bettiga's Note:
Very quick and easy, but tastey dish. Prepare it ahead of time, cover and put in the fridge. When you get home from work, pop it in the oven and you have a great meal in an hour or so!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 bone in pork chops (1/2" to 3/4" thick)
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (broth)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (I use Mission Pride Mexican Hot Style Tomato Sauce, Salsa de Chile Fresco) or 1 can rotel tomatoes and green chilies, if you prefer chunky tomatoes in your dish (hot or mild)
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 serrano chili peppers, diced (if you like it hot) (optional)
- 1/2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese or 1/2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- 2Brown the pork chops on both sides.
- 3Season the chops with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 4In a greased dutch oven or baking dish combine rice, chicken stock, tomato sauce, corn, green chiles, bell pepper, serrano peppers and spices.
- 5Place the chops over the rice mixture.
- 6Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 7Uncover and sprinkle with cheese.
- 8Return to the oven uncovered until the cheese melts (2-3 minutes).
- 9Serve with cilantro garlic bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (541 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.4
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 90.3 mg
- Sodium 1027.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 34.9 g