Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This is a recipe from Simply in Season and features fresh veggies that are available locally in the summer. You can add one or a combination of cooked black beans, lima beans and chopped, cooked chicken. If you have grilled corn available it'll add a lovely smoky flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups corn
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small tomato (peeled, seeded & chopped)
- 1 1/2 fresh limes
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- plain yogurt (optional) or sour cream (optional)
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1Add olive oil to soup pot and saute chopped onion until soft.
- 2Add corn and broth and cook for 10 minutes.
- 3Remove 1 cup of solids plus 1/3 cup of liquid and place in blender or food processor.
- 4Blend until smooth and return puree to pot.
- 5Heat until almost boiling.
- 6Stir in red pepper and tomato.
- 7Heat for 1 minute.
- 8Immediately before serving, squeeze lime into soup and top with cilantro.
- 9Garnish each bowl with Tabasco sauce, lime wedges and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, if using.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.5
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 564.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 7.7 g