Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This is a recipe from Simply in Season and features fresh veggies that are available locally in the summer. You can add one or a combination of cooked black beans, lima beans and chopped, cooked chicken. If you have grilled corn available it'll add a lovely smoky flavour.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Simple, healthy and delicious. I did add some cumin and some oregano to add the Mexican flare (since hubby doesn't like the cilantro and I needed to add some other flavors). Can't wait to eat this for dinner tonight! And then tomorrow I am going to add some black beans I made from scratch and some chicken breast for a totally different meal later in the week :) Made for our Veggie VIP. . .thanks for posting!
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small tomatoes (peeled, seeded & chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 fresh limes
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- plain yogurt (optional) or sour cream (optional)
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Add olive oil to soup pot and saute chopped onion until soft.
- Add corn and broth and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of solids plus 1/3 cup of liquid and place in blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth and return puree to pot.
- Heat until almost boiling.
- Stir in red pepper and tomato.
- Heat for 1 minute.
- Immediately before serving, squeeze lime into soup and top with cilantro.
- Garnish each bowl with Tabasco sauce, lime wedges and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, if using.