Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I adapted this recipe from a the oct 05 Cooking Light for an impromptu dinner party. I personally want to do more modifying but I got such rave reviews I felt I would share the recipe as it stands. Don't let the coffee scare ya off ;) It doubles well and tastes good topped with cheddar and served with crescent rolls.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (1 medium)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook mixing constantly for about 5 minutes or until the onions get translucent.
- Add the chicken and cook 5 minutes more stirring continuously.
- Add the next 5 ingredients (through diced tomatoes) and stir until combined. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine the cornmeal and water in a small bowl. Add to chicken mixture, stirring well. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
I made this for my family of 5, and it wasn't nearly enough food (even after I added a can of beans). I also think it lacked complexity and was just a bit too spicy for most of us. It was easy. If I made this again, I would probably completely double it to make enough food. It also took quite a bit of extra time to thicken, but I don't recall how much.
Tried to adapt this one for the crockpot but may have added too much chicken broth. Very good.
Great recipe for chicken breasts! The ingredients come together so well and taste so good. Made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. Served with fresh bread and a green salad, made for a lovely evening meal. Adding this one to my weekend meals folder!