I altered this recipe from my Fix - It and Forget - It cookbook. Yummy bean soup with a southwestern twist that is made in your slow cooker. The cornmeal dumplings is a wonderful addition to this soup.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Combine 11 soup ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 10 - 12 hours or high 4 - 5 hours.
- Make cumplings by mixing together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Combine egg white, milk and oil. Add to flour mixture. Stir with fork until just combined.
- At the end of the soup's cooking time, turn slow cooker to high. Drop dumplings by rounded teaspoonfuls to make 8 mounsd atop the soup.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes (do not lift cover).
- Serve topped with your choice(s) of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips.