This is a wonderful dish that serves well as a main dish, or could easily be served as a side. Full of flavors of the southwest and deliciously eaten using flour or corn tortillas, if desired. I discovered this recipe in Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin.
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil (or other high heat oil such as grapeseed)
- 1 cup brown rice (or white basmati)
- 1 small onion, medium dice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil (or other high heat oil such as grapeseed)
- 1 large white onion, medium dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, minced
- kosher salt, as desired
- fresh ground black pepper, as desired
- 1 bunch scallion, green parts only, cut on bias
- 1 firm avocado, pitted, removed from skin and sliced
- corn or flour tortilla
- For the rice:.
- Heat a large sautee pan with tight fitting lid, over high heat.
- Add the oil and allow to come to a shimmer.
- Add rice and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add onion, cook and continue stirring for another 3 minutes.
- Slowly add broth, reduce heat to low; cover and allow rice to simmer until all the broth has been absorbed and rice is completely cooked (about 20-25 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat and keep rice covered until ready to use.
- For the beans:.
- Heat large soup pot over high heat.
- Add oil and allow to come to a shimmer.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until onion begins to turn color.
- Add garlic and oregano; cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium, add tomatoes, broth, beans and cilantro.
- Allow to simmer until liquid is reduced by half (about 20 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; mix in sliced scallions and remove the pot from heat.
- Prior to serving, add rice to beans and stir to incorporate. (or serve beans over rice).
- Serve in shallow bowls and top each serving with sliced avocado.
- Serve with warm tortillas, if desired.