1/1 Photo of Southwest Rice and Beans from Roberto Martin
This is a wonderful dish that serves well as a main dish, or could easily be served as a side. Full of flavors of the southwest and deliciously eaten using flour or corn tortillas, if desired. I discovered this recipe in Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil (or other high heat oil such as grapeseed)
- 1 cup brown rice (or white basmati)
- 1 small onion, medium dice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil (or other high heat oil such as grapeseed)
- 1 large white onion, medium dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- kosher salt, as desired
- fresh ground black pepper, as desired
- 1 bunch scallion, green parts only, cut on bias
- 1 firm avocado, pitted, removed from skin and sliced
- corn or flour tortilla
- 1For the rice:.
- 2Heat a large sautee pan with tight fitting lid, over high heat.
- 3Add the oil and allow to come to a shimmer.
- 4Add rice and stir for 3 minutes.
- 5Add onion, cook and continue stirring for another 3 minutes.
- 6Slowly add broth, reduce heat to low; cover and allow rice to simmer until all the broth has been absorbed and rice is completely cooked (about 20-25 minutes).
- 7Remove pan from heat and keep rice covered until ready to use.
- 8For the beans:.
- 9Heat large soup pot over high heat.
- 10Add oil and allow to come to a shimmer.
- 11Add onions and cook, stirring, until onion begins to turn color.
- 12Add garlic and oregano; cook for 1 minute.
- 13Reduce heat to medium, add tomatoes, broth, beans and cilantro.
- 14Allow to simmer until liquid is reduced by half (about 20 minutes).
- 15Season to taste with salt and pepper; mix in sliced scallions and remove the pot from heat.
- 16Prior to serving, add rice to beans and stir to incorporate. (or serve beans over rice).
- 17Serve in shallow bowls and top each serving with sliced avocado.
- 18Serve with warm tortillas, if desired.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Rice and Beans from Roberto Martin
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.5
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 338.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.9 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 19.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: