Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easy chicken recipe for a cool fall or winter evening.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, cut in chunks
- 1 garlic clove
- 28 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 14 ounces canned red kidney beans
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 avocado, sliced
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with cumin and chili powder. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until meat is on longer pink. Add onion and garlid; cook an stir 2 minutes. coarsely chop tomatoes; set aside. Add water to equal 1 3/4 c total. Add liquid and salsa to skillet and bring to a boi. Stir in rice, reduec heat, cover tithtly an simmer 25 minutes. Stir in beans and tomatoes. Rem ove from heat. Let stand, covered until all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with avocado.
Really awesome dish. The wife and I loved it. Only thing I would like to point out is you can't cook brown rice in 25 minutes..just doesn't work. Had to cook this for at least 45 minutes and even then the rice came out a bit hard some spots. Would probably work a lot better with white rice and maybe some chicken stock for flavoring.
Excellent. Easy to prepare, and the flavors came together wonderfully. Leftovers reheated perfectly the next day. I added a little dash of cayenne pepper for some extra zip. Thanks for sharing! ~PAC Spring '10~
Very good and easy to make. I didn't use the olive oil but just sprayed the pan with Pam. I used diced tomatoes instead of chopped and didn't use the avocado as I don't like it. I also used a lot more cheese then the recipe called for. Made for Spring PAC 2010.