1/1 Photo of Southwest Chicken and Dumplings
2 hrs 20 mins
I had a few cups of enchilada seasoned shredded chicken in the fridge to use up and wanted some chicken and dumplings. I figured that I would just go with the "southwest" theme, and ended up with a dish that we all love. For more spice, just choose a hot salsa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn, undrained
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, seasoned with
- southwest seasoning
- 8 ounces processed cheese, cubed
- 10 flour tortillas, cut in strips
- 1Melt butter in the bottom of a large heavy saucepan. Saute onions in butter until tender.
- 2Stir in flour and cook to create a light roux.
- 3Slowly stir in chicken broth, then add remaining ingredients.
- 4The flour tortillas will take a while to start absorbing the liquid and become dumpling-like. Simmer for at least two hours until tortillas become swollen and soft, replacing liquid with water or chicken broth as it evaporates and is soaked up by the tortillas. I usually start mine about 2:00 in the afternoon and let it simmer for several hours until dinner.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.2
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 1953.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 21.6 g