1/2 Photos of Southern Sauteed Chicken Livers
I get hungry for chicken livers once or twice a year, and I like the flavor of them sauteed in bacon grease! Saute them in whatever you prefer!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken liver (rinsed and drained well, but not dried)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
- bacon grease, about 1/2-inch deep in your pan (for sauteing, or substitute whatever fat you prefer)
- 1Rinse chicken livers and drain well.
- 2Combine flour, salt, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and thyme in a zip lock bag ~ add drained chicken livers and toss about gently until livers are covered with flour mixture.
- 3Heat bacon grease (or other fat) over medium-high heat, in a large iron skillet, until HOT.
- 4Gently add livers to hot grease and saute for 3-4 minutes, then turn and saute the other side for about the same time.
- 5DO NOT OVERCOOK LIVERS ~ they should be pink inside, but not oozing blood.
- 6Remove livers from pan and drain on paper towels.
- 7The pan drippings make great milk gravy!
- 8Don't forget the biscuits!
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Sauteed Chicken Livers
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.2
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 391.2 mg
- Sodium 517.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 20.8 g