Recipe by Dawn
Long before Boston Market cornered the market on cornbread, the women in my family were making up a darn good corn bread themselves. Every BBQ or potluck this cornbread was in demand. I finally handed one of my aunties a measuring cup (you know they never measure anything) and learned how to make it. It really does resemble the taste of Boston Market, almost could be a dessert with that sweet taste of honey and some butter on top...
Top Review by Cool Bean
We have tried many cornbread recipes and always seem disappointed. This recipe is a KEEPER! YUM YUM! I was leary about the large amount of salt and baking powder and about the lumps in the batter after mixing. BUT, everything worked out beautifully! I made 22 muffins, cooked for 13 minutes at 375. We used a course ground yellow cornmeal. This is fantastic! Thank you!
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups white cornmeal (for less gritty) or 2 cups yellow cornmeal (I use white)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with shortening.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix sugar, butter, eggs, milk, honey and water together in a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl: cornmeal, flour,baking powder, and salt.
- While stirring, add dry ingredients to sugar, egg, and milk mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour into greased rectangular pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve with butter.